Thursday, September 22, 2011

Easy Thai Chicken & Rice

My mom and I attended the Taste of Home Cooking School last week, and this was a dish they made that I knew I had to try right away. I am always looking for a good tasting dish that is both healthy and easy, and while what defines "healthy" is different for everyone, it is EASY to whip up in no time and SO flavorful. It is a dish that I know Grandma would love and it will definitely be a staple at our house from now on!

1 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 bag (16 ounce) frozen Asian-style veggies, thawed
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped

1. Prepare rice.
2. In a small bowl, combine combine coconut milk, brown sugar, curry paste, lime juice and salt. In a nonstick pan over medium heat, combine chicken and vegetables. Add curry sauce and cook until heated through.
3. Garnish with chopped peanuts and additional lime, if desired.

- I used 3 cups uncooked rice and it was the perfect amount. Quinoa would be good too! I also used the remainder of the can of the coconut milk for some of the liquid in the rice to give it additional flavor.
- I cut up two raw chicken breasts into bite size pieces and sauteed it in olive oil until browned, then added the veggies and sauce. I had a 3 lb bag of frozen veggies and used half, so you can easily add more than it calls for and there was plenty of sauce. You could easily make this a vegetarian meal and use all veggies! Because my amounts were a bit larger than what the recipe called for, our meal easily served 6.
- The curry paste I had said it was spicy, so I was wary of using a full Tbsp and only used about 1/2. It wasn't spicy at all, so I will definitely add the full amount next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment