Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mo's and Clam Chowder

One thing I will always remember about Grandma Cleo was how well she cooked.  She was specifically known for her soups.  People in the ward and neighborhood would often ask her for a pot of soup, and if my memory serves me correctly, I think they sold for quite a lot Though she never taught me how to make soups, and though I certainly wouldn't consider myself a 'great cook', Jon says I make a 'mean soup', and I like to think I somehow inherited that from Grandma.

Another thing I remember is how much Grandma always raved about "Mo's Clam Chowder".  We HAD to go there every time we went to the coast, and that tradition lives on in our family.  Now that I've moved to the coast, I went on a quest for a good clam chowder recipe, and, after trying a few different recipes, I decided on this one (from Allrecipes.com).  We love it, and make it for all of our out of town guests.  (Come see for yourself....)

My Best Clam Chowder Recipe



Ingredients

  • 3 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 2 cups cubed potatoes
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart half-and-half cream
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Drain juice from clams into a large skillet over the onions, celery, potatoes and carrots. Add water to cover, and cook over medium heat until tender.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in vegetables and clam juice. Heat through, but do not boil.
  3. Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too much they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! If I wasn't eating vegan right now, I'd give it a try. Some recipes I can adapt, but it would be tough to replicate the flavor and texture of clams! I also want to try Maine crabs, too. Can you send some this way, please?

    ReplyDelete