Sunday, October 13, 2013

Autumn Soup




It's that time of year when we seem to all have a hankerin' for that delicious soup! I recall both Mom and Daddy making it. I think he's the one that found the recipe in a magazine, and made it a time or two, and she took over after that. However it went, it was DELICIOUS and we still love to have it simmering. We put it in the crockpot in the morning on Conference Sunday this year and served it up with some garlic toast. Yum, yum!

Autumn Soup

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
4 C. water or stock
1 C. onions, chopped
1 C. carrots, chopped
1 C. celery, chopped
1 C. potatoes, diced

1 lg. can stewed tomatoes (or 6 fresh)
2 t. salt
1/8 t. basil
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. kitchen bouquet or soup base
1 bay leaf (broken apart)

Brown meat and add everything else into the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least 2 hours.

Cristi's modifications:
I use less water and more tomatoes, just regular diced in the can.
I use about 1 T. of basil and several bay leaves.
I don't use kitchen bouquet because it contains MSG, so I may throw in a bit of Worcestershire sauce and paprika, or whatever I'm in the mood for.
I never measure my veggies - I just chop and toss and it always comes out great!
Shake some Parmesan cheese on top or grated Jack is good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment