Friday, February 25, 2011

Summer chicken salad

Because I didn't live near Cleo year-round, most of my memories with her involve the SUMMER, when we would come stay with her for months at a time. One of my favorite things to do was to go on picnics with she and grandpa - along the Columbia River Gorge, at the Rose Gardens or just down the street at Willamette Park. Cleo knew how to pack the perfect picnic. Chicken salad sandwiches were a regular part of her picnic ensemble. While she didn't ever have an actual recipe, this is my own recipe I've created after making it with her many times.

Summer Chicken Salad

Ingredients

  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup grapes, halved
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1-2 tsp cumin
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 4 croissants, split

Directions

  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each croissant. Approximately 4 servings.
On snowy days like today, when it feels like winter will never, ever end, I can't help but think of summer and all of the fresh, yummy food that comes with it. So what better way to lighten up a dreary winter day than with some summertime food, and maybe the warm weather will decide to make an appearance too!

3 comments:

  1. I miss picnics with them, and I miss the Columbia River Gorge! My favorite memory of family picnics is when Gpa would get the food all ready, load it and us in the car, then we'd swing by Gma's work and pick her up and head out to Cherry Grove. We'd eat and swim on the hottest days of the summer when it was too warm to cook or be in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of other parks I remember going to for heat escape picnics were Benson State Park and a park on the Molalla river. I don't remember the name of the park but I do remember jumping off a rock into the river.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feyrer Park! Mike used to go there to swim, too. 'Twas fun.

    ReplyDelete